Wake Forest, NC

Wake Forest, NC
Wake County
http://www.wakeforestnc.gov/


Wake Forest is a suburb of Raleigh. The former Wake Forest campus is the current home to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Development of the town of Wake Forest began in 1820 when Dr. Calvin Jones, originally from New England, bought 615 acres. The sparsely populated area became known as Wake Forest, or the Forest of Wake. Jones sold his farm for $2,000 to the North Carolina Baptist Convention, which opened the Wake Forest Manual Labor Institute, later Wake Forest College, on the site. The Raleigh & Gaston Railroad, completed in 1840, gave a boost to the school and surrounding village with its nearby depot in Forestville. College leaders convinced the railroad to move the depot even closer to the college in 1874, leading to more economic development. This growth allowed the community to become incorporated by the state in 1880 as the "Town of Wake Forest College." In 1909, the word "College" was removed from the official name. The year of 1956 saw the removal of the college itself, to the much larger city of Winston-Salem. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary began offering classes in 1950 on the original campus of Wake Forest University, and occupied the rest of the campus when the university completed its move.